Saturday, August 22, 2009

my own spin on an old american chinese take-out favorite


Now I have no idea if I am the first person to ever do this but this idea just popped into my head outta nowhere and I guess I want to share it with ya'll! So everyone's been to Chinese restaurants and has ordered the crab cheese wontons, right? Yeah, not exactly the most authentically Asian thing on the menu but, I've discovered a yummy twist on making homemade fried won tons! Now I rarely, if ever, fry foods at home. For those of you who know me best, I'm a total grease-a-phob and frequently eat pizza with knife and fork so I don't get grease on my hands. BUT, I decided to try this and successfully made green onion goat cheese wontons for a company poker party one weekend and they were a BIG HIT! Here it goes...

Makes approxiamately (30 wontons)

1 package wonton wrappers (Asian foods aisle of any market)
8 oz. cream cheese
4 oz. goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onion
4 cups vegetable oil
small bowl of water

Sauce:

Store bought Sweet and Sour sauce

Fold together cream cheese, goat cheese, green onion until evenly mixed
Spoon 1 Tbsp. of mixture into the center of a wonton wrapper
Dip index finger in small bowl of water and wet two sides to wonton wrapper
Crease all sides of the wonton wrapper to the center and pinch, enclosing the wonton

In a medium sized pot fill bottom with vegetable oil and heat on medium
Drop raw wontons into oil
Spoon out until wontons completely float (they are done when they are golden brown on the edges)
Lay paper towels on plate to soak up excess oil and to cool slightly.

Enjoy them with sweet and sour dipping sauce.
Allow for all poker party guests to come crawling back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers