Friday, March 19, 2010

How would you like a slice of sweet random pie?


This became my official "sweet random pie" because so far it has been my most successful pie I've ever made out of all the random things I could find in my kitchen cabinets! We've all been there! Too lazy to find a new recipe, drive to the store, etc etc. Some of the most amazing food I've ever had has resulted from an impromptu meal made from random things in my refrigerator! Like my chicken, mozzarella, and heirloom tomato pesto nann bread panini? To die for!

Here is the recipe for my "sweet random pie" could also be known as "Jasmine's chocolate caramel pecan pie". It's super simple, easy, fast, and Delish! What more could a chef ask for?

Sweet Random Pie

Pie Filling:
8oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
1 Cup whole pecans

Pie Crust:

3/4 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 Cups cake flour


To make the crust, in a large bowl, use a wooden spoon (or Kitchen Aid Mixer) to combine the butter, egg, and granulated sugar. Add the flour and mix until a homogeneous lump of dough forms. Roll into a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9 1/2 inch tart pan. Unwrap refrigerated dough and place on a floured work surface. Lightly flour rolling pin, roll dough out into a round. Line crust into greased tart pan. (This tart in particular is my favorite because it's taste and texture reminds me of a shortbread cookie--my favorite!). Bake pie in oven for about 30 minutes until pale dry.

Sprinkle chocolate chips right on top of pie crust. Spread around evenly. Place in oven for 2 minutes or until chocolate has completely melted. Spread melted chocolate with a spatula into an even layer.

In a small pot melt butter and brown sugar and mix together on medium heat. Mix until thoroughly combined and let boil for 3 minutes. Pour caramel mixture from pot into pie tart pan over chocolate and spread. Allow yourself to make beautiful swirls with the caramel and chocolate mixture. Top with pecan nuts (whole or chopped).

Allow to cool until warm to touch and serve warm with a large dollop of vanilla bean gelato (or whatever choice of ice cream you want!). For garnish top with mint leaf.

Enjoy to the fullest! If you think that the pie filling is too sweet you may always opt for using milk chocolate chips. I brought the pie over to a friend's place and needless to say the pie tart pan was the only thing I came home with! Well received by all who tried this "sweet random" creation and maybe if you're lucky and really really nice to me I will replicate it for you!

As always...

Made with love,

Jas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers